Friday, September 26, 2008







Ever since I was little, I loathe veggies, especially the green one. To me green veggies are bitter. No matter how hard my mom force me to eat it, I would just vomited it out. Come to think of it, now I know why my kids hate green veggies...LOL...
But as I grew older, I learn to accept green veggies. And now I found that in my dish I must have at least one serving of veggie. One of my favorite veggie is asparagus. To me asparagus has fresh, crunchy taste that left me wanting for more. On top of that asparagus has No Fat, contains No Cholesterol and is low in Sodium. Furthermore asparagus is a nutrient-dense food which in high in Folic Acid and is a good source of potassium, fiber, vitamin B6, vitamins A and C, and thiamin.
I manage to find below recipe in the internet and since pasta is one of my favorite dish plus the combination of dish looks yummy therefore I need to give it a try.










Pesto Chicken Pasta

Simple dish using prepared sauce.

Ingredients:
* 8 ounces uncooked farfalle (bow tie) pasta
* 2 cups cut-up fresh asparagus
* 3 cups (12 ounces) cubed, cooked chicken
* 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
* 1/3 cup chopped red onion
* 1 (2.25-ounce) can sliced ripe olives, well drained
* 3/4 cup prepared *pesto sauce
* 3 tablespoons freshly shredded or grated Romano cheese

Method:
1. Cook pasta according to package directions; rinse and drain.
2. Steam asparagus until tender crisp. Drain.
3. Combine cooked pasta and asparagus in a large bowl.
4. Stir in chicken, tomatoes, onion and olives.
5. Gently toss with pesto sauce.
6. Serve warm, garnished with cheese.

Refrigerate leftovers; they make a great lunch.

Makes 6 servings.

*Pesto - Traditional basil pesto originated in Genoa, Italy and comes from the word "pestare" which means to pound or grind. May be made with any herb or herb combination, blended with oil in to create a paste. Basil pesto is made from basil, garlic, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese and olive oil. Variations can be made with the type of nuts (or toasted nuts), adding parsley, changing the cheese, roasting the garlic or replacing the oil with broth or the oil from sun-dried tomatoes. Use with pasta, pizza, tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, omelettes, frittatas, potatoes and risotto.













Pasta with Asparagus


Ingredients
* 1 1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
* 1/4 cup chicken broth
* 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
* 8 ounces angel hair pasta
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
* 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese


Method
1. Cook pasta according to package instructions.
2. Heat the olive oil in a nonstick skillet.
3. Saute asparagus in the pan over medium heat for about 3 minutes.
4. Add chicken broth and mushroom slices; cook 3 minutes more.
5. Drain pasta, and transfer to a serving dish.
6. Gently toss pasta with asparagus mixture; sprinkle with Parmesan and crushed red pepper.







0 comments: